Tension: Meghan Markle’s Subtle Attack on the Royal Family
Meghan Markle has opened up about the real reason she has worked on so many different projects since leaving the Firm and why she continues to work in the spotlight.
Meghan Markle celebrates as her brand As Ever launches
Meghan Markle appeared to give a subtle swipe at the Royal Family during a new interview to promote her latest business venture. The Duchess of Sussex was a working royal from 2018 until 2020, when she quit her royal duties alongside Prince Harry and they both moved to America.
Since their bombshell exit, the Sussexes have been involved in a number of projects, including their lucrative deals with Spotify and Netflix and the Duchess’s latest business ventures like her recently launched brand, As Ever. Now, during an interview with The New York Times, Meghan opened up on the real reason behind working on so many different projects since leaving the Firm and why she continues to work in the spotlight. Asked about why she continues to “put herself back under the microscope” after years of “enduring the worst kind of public attention”, the Duchess had a simple answer to give.
Meghan Markle gave a new interview to promote her lifestyle brand (Image: Getty)
She told the outlet: “I need to work, and I love to work.”
And it was during that moment that Meghan appeared to fire a subtle dig at the royals, as, according to the NYT, she noted that, until she met Harry, she “hadn’t been without a job since she was 13”.
She said: “This is a way I can connect my home life and my work.”
The outlet added that another big factor in Meghan’s business ventures is “money” and that despite most of the Netflix projects flopping, the streaming giant is still “betting on her”.
Harry and Meghan have been involved in five projects for Netflix so far, but apart from their first bombshell docuseries, Harry & Meghan, and Meghan’s latest lifestyle series, With Love, Meghan, the rest of then – Live to Lead, Heart of Invictus and Polo – have not managed to attract the same kind of success.
But despite the setbacks and the Sussex deal nearing its end, the streaming giant reportedly fully backs them.
Meghan Markle’s As Ever brand sold out in minutes (Image: Getty)
Meghan’s lifestyle show has already been renewed for a second season, which is set to drop this autumn, while Netflix’s CPG division is a partner in Meghan’s As Ever brand.
As Ever launched on Wednesday afternoon with its products selling out in less than 30 minutes.
Following the succesful launch, Meghan took to her Instagram to thank fans for their support.
She said in a post: “Our shelves may be empty, but my heart is full! We sold out in less than one hour and I can’t thank you enough…for celebrating, purchasing, sharing, and believing. It’s just the start @aseverofficial. Here we go!”
As Ever’s first collection of seasonal products contained “limited qualities” of each product and it is thought that the brand will release new product collections seasonally.